BEST VETKOEK RECIPE EVER!!!
When we stayed at eKasie Backpackers in Khayelitsha, we were served the most divine vetkoek for lunch! We couldn’t rest until we’d got the recipe. So here it is for you to try. (And if this looks like too much trouble, I recommend you simply pop in at eKasie for lunch.)
- 6¾ cups flour (all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 packet yeast
- Lukewarm water
- Cooking oil (for frying)
How to make the dough
- Mix sugar and yeast with some lukewarm water and leave to foam.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Pour yeast in flour and knead.
- Keep adding water and knead until you have a consistency like bread dough.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover the bowl with a cloth.
- Leave the dough to rise for about 45 to 60 minutes until it is about double its original size.
How to make the vetkoek
- Pour the cooking oil into a frying pan to have about 3 or 4cm of oil in the pan. Heat the oil to about 375°F (200°C).
- Divide the dough into balls about the size of a tennis ball.
- Flatten the dough until it is about 3 centimeters thick and about the size of your palm.
- Place two or three pieces of the flattened dough at a time into the oil. Fry each side until golden brown.
Serve with savory mince, cheese, or jam. Yum, yum, yum!
For more information on this wonderful dish visit https://www.getaway.co.za/food/the-best-vetkoek-recipe-ever/